Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Al Jolson Was Way Ahead Of His Time

So the other day I was hanging out with some friends and we decided to go rent a movie. We arrived at the local Hollywood Video and started looking for something to watch. Unfortunately everything that ranged (as far as quality) from Absolutetly Fantastic to Mind Numbingly Stupid was checked out so we were forced to rent White Chicks.

By forced to rent I mean we took a vote and even though I should count as 10 fucking votes I was overruled by 4 other people. So we go back to my friends pad and put in White Chicks.

We were then subjected to about 90 minutes of absolute crap that probably gave ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh let me see two total laughs. After watching this movie I was left with two thoughts:

1. How could "In Living Color" of been so fucking funny, but everything since that has been put out by the Wayans been utterly horrible?

2. Why was nobody upset at the utter racism in this movie?

Lets look at the basic plot of White Chicks, here it is layed out in a formula....


Someone from one race + clothes and makeup to change appearance into another race + person dressed as other race acting out racial stereotypes = comedy (?)

Now back in the day there was this one cat named Al Jolson who used to perform in blackface and do a whole act where he was supposed to be black. Today that is derided as being racist and horrible.

It is obvious that Al was just way ahead of his time, and in todays more tolerant and educated society his act would be greeted with the same open arms that White Chicks was.

What???? What the fuck do you mean I'm wrong? Al Jolson would be called racist and his act the subject of Jesse Jackson and the human leach squads latest protest and press conferences?

I don't understand. How could someone such as the Wayans brothers basically do Al's blackface routine from 70 years ago, just in reverse, and it not get called racism...... yet if Al did his act it would?

Oh sorry, stupid me. I forgot that in today's more educated and tolerant society it is okay to be racist so long as you aren't white. My bad yo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home